Friday, November 18, 2011

Sisters Forever

Sometimes things are both irritating and joyful at the same time.  Today I experienced one of those things.  When the girls woke up they came downstairs and sat on the couch.  This is not an unusual activity by any means.  As they were sitting there waking up slowly, conversations began.  Being the mom I am, I began listening in on their conversation.  It went something like this...

"Naomi, you can't use coupons that have expired."
"Yes, I can".
"Mom, can Naomi use coupons that have expired?"
"No.."

I continued drinking my morning cup of coffee all the while, listening to the conversation continue.

"Hannah-don't do that! Stop it!"
"Naomi, you want to share this with me?"

The conversations between siblings can be both joyful and irritating for sure.  I am reminded of the years before Naomi joined our family.  I remember our little Hannah telling us how badly she wanted a sister.  She was sick and tired of playing light sabers with her brothers. I remember how sweet Hannah was as she went through her toys and willingly  chose which ones to give to Naomi. I watched as Hannah cleaned out one of her dresser drawers and arranged Naomi's clothes neatly in it.  It seems like only yesterday when our daughter so graciously gave up her big double bed and replaced it with twin beds and divided her small closet  for her new sister.  I also remember the look on Hannah's face as she walked into the orphanage to see Naomi for the first time since putting her on the plane back to the Philippines. And, I will never forget the tears that ran down Hannah's face as Naomi walked right on past us when she saw us for the first time.

The conversations of sisters.  They can be both irritating and joyful.  As I listen to the words spoken by my daughters to each other joy fills my heart.  The sweet words that Naomi has learned and how quickly she has picked up our language only goes to show us how truly wonderful bringing her into our family is.  We would have missed out on so much had we not given this little one a chance.   The joys she brings to our family and the priceless conversations between sisters is what brings joy to my heart.

Sisters....forever together and forever in my heart.


 Lorrie

3 comments:

  1. It was absolutely beautiful today, watching them together in church!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Terri. It was such a blessing to be given the opportunity to share our hearts for the orphans who can't speak for themselves. God bless you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sisters...by blood, marriage, or adoption...are wonderful to have. Loveya sis.

    ReplyDelete