Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Parable of the Shutterfly Book

As Lorrie and I await the documents from the government of the Philippines that will set in motion the last bureaucratic step to bring Jacob home we're making him a book. Ever heard of shutterfly?  It's one of those cloud based services that enable users to upload photographs and create a photo book - think cyber scrap booking.

Over the last three weeks, I've been working on this book. Sorting through pictures, uploading them, arranging them and adding captions in such a way that I hope convey to Jacob something about this new life he's headed for.  I finished it Saturday.  The plan is to order it this Friday and send it to him.  We're hoping to give him something, anything that will help him wrap his 11 year old mind around the fact that he is really close to finally having a family that is forever.

Naomi Opens Her Book - 2009
Now can you imagine yourself as Jacob and you receive this book?

You know you are on the other side of the planet from the people in this book you're looking at.  What is it that you feel-Hope? Relief?  Skepticism? Loved? You wonder: Is it really possible that someone actually cares just about me? After all, my mother left me, then the family that I thought was going to love me left me...so you're telling me that these people are different?  I hope so...I hope...As you look back at the book in your hands, you turn the pages, you read the words: "...you have a place here....you are loved...you are wanted....you matter".  Do I dare hope?

The hope against hope that I believe Jacob and other waiting children around the world have truly humbles me.  Jacob has seen his 'best friend' and many other children taken to a new life, a life with a family. We hope that this book placed in his hands will enable him to keep daring to hope. Daring even to believe that one day maybe even soon, it will be his turn.

As I write this the Lord is bringing this to mind:  "I sent you a book...you have a place here....you are loved...you are wanted....you matter".   I love parables...

Marshall

3 comments:

  1. So many commitments broken in such a short amount of time. Being the ones to NOT break your commitment to Jacob will make all the difference to him on his journey of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne - thanks for visiting! You have a beautiful family. It looks like you've visited our home near Pike's Peak!

    and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. Rom 5:5

    Marshall and Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the Lord brought to your mind HIS book!! Alleluia!

    ReplyDelete