Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Oh, how they grow up so fast!

Oh, the joys of children!  Sometimes I get so caught up in the day to day that I fail to see, or notice if you will, the wonders of childhood.  As our children get older and have more responsibility it can seem as though we are in a zoo.  Literally!  

Yesterday our oldest child was sworn into "almost adulthood".  By that I mean..he got his drivers license. The day Joshua had been dreaming about since he was at least 13 finally came into being.  I took the children down to the local DOR (Department of Revenue) office and waited...and waited...and waited.  Finally, our number was called and Joshua and I approached the nice lady behind the counter.  Becky, was her name.  Becky and I really hit it off because she informed Joshua and me that , according to Colorado law, Marshall and I can revoke Joshua's driving license at anytime.  Anytime!  While I was listening intently, it seemed as though Joshua was getting smaller and smaller.  I wanted to hear more.  Her words were directed to me."If Joshua rolls his eyes at you, forgets your birthday or to clean his room , makes bad grades or doesn't do his chores - you may, mom take his license away.".  I love it!  Really?  Now, I feel back in control.
Remembering when Joshua was little


On the days when I feel like I am out of control because the children are growing up so quickly I can be sure that the time spent with them is well worth it.  To see Naomi thrive in our family confirms the fact that all children need a place  to call theirs. ALL children, regardless of anything, need a family.  The problem occurs when we begin to think that there is nothing at all we can do to help these children out.  We become so caught up in our life and our problems that pretty soon we become numb to the real issue.-the issue that every child should have the exact opportunity to thrive as our Naomi has.  

I am convinced that once your eyes have been opened to the need and you have stepped out of your comfort zone you can't go back to living the life you were before.  For me, my eyes were opened way before we chose to adopt Naomi. For some of you, your eyes have been opened for the first time.  You are following our blog and beginning to see the tremendous need - God is working on your heart too!  Many of you are stepping out of your comfort zone and supporting our family by sending us a check or by donating through ChipIn.  One dear friend went as far as to put something on her own blog letting her readers know about our need.  Whatever you have chosen to do the truth is God has opened your eyes and there is no turning back.  Even if you don't pray for our family or support our family financially, the fact remains that , because you are reading this blog, your eyes are now open. And, if your heart is changed simply by reading our blog then everything we are going through to get our Jacob home is well worth it.

We know that this adoption is bigger than anything Marshall and I can imagine.  I don't know what God has in store for us in the future, but I do know that our God has a remarkable story to share with Jacob.  The story of how 11 years ago, a little boy was born in the Philippines , abandoned at one year of age and then spoke the words to a couple who had a willing heart to listen to him..."I love America , take me with you"  Every orphan has a story. The question is.."what roll will you play in their story?"

Please continue praying for our family.  The needs are still there - specifically, we need $3,500 to finish up the adoption paperwork and then the plane tickets to and from the Philippines.  God is faithful and He will provide through His people - you.  


I want to leave you with the picture of Naomi and Hannah meeting for the first time here in Colorado.  Everything was new to Naomi, but the expression on both faces says, "your ok and welcome to America".


Lorrie


No comments:

Post a Comment