Monday, October 31, 2011

$40.00 on candy?

Pinoy Sagagawea
In just a few more hours our precious girls will begin dressing up in the costumes that they chose last week.  It is the one time of year when your imagination gets to run wild and you can be anything you want to be.  Last year our sweet Naomi got a taste into the American thing called Halloween.  I remember the look on her face when I took her to the store and she got to pick out a costume.  Strange for a Filipino to watch us Americans run around in costumes going from store to store saying "treat or trick".  It is even more strange that people give you candy when you say that.

Last year Naomi dressed up as an Indian.  I really don't know if she had ever seen one before, but that was the costume she chose.  Tonight, she will be a policeman....or woman?  Out of all the great costumes put in front of her to choose, she chose to be a policeman...seriously?  Oh, well...it is her night I guess.



Even mom gets in the fun!
My mind keeps thinking of how strange it is for someone coming from another country to watch us.  I heard somewhere that the average American will spend $40.00 on candy during this time of year.  Wow!  $40.00 just to give candy ( treats) out to children who knock on our doors and say, "trick or treat".  I remember how fun Halloween was for me growing up, but now, as an adult I have to take a step back and re-evaluate things.  Mostly, because, for me, my eyes have been open to something much greater and I am so glad they have. 

All over the world ( and here in our country as well) there are children who will have no chance to experience a trick or treat.  They will never be able to pick out a costume, carve a pumpkin or go to a church to play games.  All the while, we spend our precious money buying extravagant costumes and tons of candy for the children who are given that opportunity because they are in a family.  Because someone cares enough for them to make sure that tonight is the best night ever.  One question still haunts me -if one is able to spend $40.00 on candy, is one able to give $40.00 to help a child experience something that will last longer than one night? 

When we were in the orphanage in the Philippines we gave Naomi a chocolate bar.  There was a knock on the door and our Jacob was there.  We invited him in and gave him a chocolate bar. That one bar given to Jacob changed his life.  That is what God used.  It wasn't $40.00 worth of candy. It was a dollar's worth. 

Some wonderful people have been praying for us and supporting our cause.  Today, I found out about an opportunity for those of you who write or know someone who does.  Please visit:
http://writingwhilethericeboils.blogspot.com/ to see how you can be entered into a drawing to win a 4000 word manuscript critique.  Our family was also featured in the local newspaper.  You can view the article online or buy a paper on Wednesday. One more exciting thing happening in the Worthey home is our radio interview.  There will be a 10 minute radio interview on Thursday, November 3rd at 10:00am.  When I get the details, I will post it for you. 

I leave you with a picture of the girls last Halloween and also with the question...can you spare $40.00 to bring an orphan home?

Lorrie




2 comments:

  1. I found out about your journey through Debbie Maxwell Allen's post today and just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck and I hope Jacob gets to come home very soon.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much -- Keep watching the blog - it will go well past our return from the Philippines

    Marshall, Lorrie, Joshua, Hannah and Naomi....

    ReplyDelete