Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Twenty Years and Counting

Marshall and I just celebrated our twentieth wedding anniversary.  It is amazing to look back at our life journey thus far.  First of all, neither of us really knew what a marriage was suppose to look like since we both came from divorced families.  When we were dating we would talk about what NOT to do in our marriage.  I know now  that those conversations were really something that would guide us over the course of our life.  No one expected our "sudden courtship" to last.  You have to know that the day I met my mother-in-law is the day she found out we were getting married.  Marshall was also told that "Lorrie won't last in Colorado...she will be way too cold."  So, everyone really thought that we would not survive or at the very least be living in cement city.

Secondly, neither Marshall nor I really ever planned on having more than 3 children.  I knew when we got married that I wanted three children. Marshall came from a family of three and I just had a younger sister.  So, going into our marriage we were planning on having three kids.  What a huge blessing it was to have been given our two boys and then our little Hannah.  Two boys and a girl - complete...or so we thought.

Marshall and I on our honeymoon in Colorado Springs -1992
Fast forward twenty years.  Little did either of us know that we would be celebrating our twentieth while waiting on "the call" to get our fifth child.  And, neither one of us ever in our wildest dreams thought about adoption.  So,  here we are twenty years into our marriage and on the adventure of a lifetime.  I have heard the saying that "you miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take."  Life has taught us both that you must go for it.  We have stepped out on faith and God has been faithful.  We have stood at the base of mountains and have been given the courage to go up them.  And, we have been blessed with an amazing  marriage and five wonderful kids.  Well, 4 1/2 for now.

I have no idea where God will take us in our next twenty years.  However, I do know that whatever adventure I am on, if I hold onto the promises of God and have my wonderful husband beside me, anything is possible.

Here's to the next twenty sweetheart...I love you!

Lorrie

2 comments:

  1. You make me a better man Lorrie Worthey. I Love You.

    Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary, Marshall and Lorrie!

    I am struck in reading this, how very much the two of you and Rob and I have in common. We always thought "three" was the magic number too. And never once thought adoption would be a plan for our family. Six children and nearly 19 years later, we are so amazed at what God can do when we simply listen and open ourselves to his voice.

    May God continue to bless your union richly!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete