Friday, April 6, 2012

Step Out and Do Something Hard

Sometimes all you need to do is step out and attempt something that seems totally impossible.  That's what happened to me this week.  I was elected Mayor of our town. Yep, the people spoke and here I am.  The funny thing about it is I never thought, in my wildest dreams, I would be given the opportunity to do something like this.  But, the timing was right and I stepped out.  Now, the fun begins!

Adoption is like that as well.  You might think that "we could NEVER do something like adopt".  You might be thinking,  "I am so thankful God called them to do that, its such a wonderful thing". OR,  "Our finances are not where they should be and we are just so close to paying off our truck and our house." What amazes me the most are those people who really think they have NO money but yet are able to send their children to private schools and have their house almost paid off.  Seriously, NO money?  You might think that I am sounding a little to harsh or mean.  Well, maybe I am.  Let me just say...there will never be a "good" time to change a life.  There is never a perfect time to adopt.  If that is what you are waiting for, it will never come.  My suggestion to you is to do the hard thing.  I loved the saying we use to say in MOPS.  God doesn't call the equipped.  He equips the called.  So true with everything in life.  If you wait until you are financially set or when you have added on that extra room in your house - quite simply, you will miss out;especially when it comes to adoption.

Our Jacob waits for our arrival.  He knows that a family, whom he spent less than 12 hours with, is coming to get him and bring him home to his forever family.  I can only imagine what must be going through his mind as he goes to bed each night and wakes up each day with us not being there.  I  watch our children anxiously counting down the days until we are able to get on the plane and walk through the doors of the orphanage where they first met their sister.  The day is drawing near.  We are leaving on the 26th of April.  That is the day when the airline tickets went down from $1500.00  to $1100.00 a piece.
Easter egg decorating at the Worthey home

We have been given the "go" - paid for our plane tickets and for some reason the majority of those we know honestly think that we "are done".  Well, the truth is,  we are far from being done. We still have hotel rooms while in the Philippines, gifts for the workers and the children at the orphanage and meals for our family. We are far from not needing any assistance.When Marshall and I began this adoption we said, "Lord, use us to touch other lives."  We have said from the beginning that any "extra" that we are given would be used to help others who might be looking into adoption, but don't have the funds for the "first step".

 Here is where the stepping out comes in.  Maybe you are in a "hard" place. Maybe you can't afford to give hundreds of dollars to our family, but from a personal place, I know that all of us have an extra $10.00 to give. So, that is what we are asking - praying for.  Would you please join us in bringing Jacob home and possibly touching another child's life?  It is Easter weekend.  The time when we celebrate our risen Savior. A time when we reflect on all that our Lord has done for us.  A time to make a difference in the life of a child.  From the beginning of this adoption we knew that God had called us to step out - to do something hard. He also called us to ask for help from His people-you. So, we continue asking.."would you be able to donate $10.00 to bring Jacob home? It might be hard for you, but as I have learned this week, stepping out and doing something you never thought you could will change your life.

We wish all of you a wonderful weekend with your family rejoicing in the knowledge that our Lord is risen - He is alive!

Lorrie

4 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you in spirit Lorrie. If we weren't in the middle of raising our own adoption funds, I'd be kicking in :).
    A new fb friend of mine, a woman from Maine whom I've never met, is hosting a fundraiser for 'Ned'/Zane and for Lucky - to bring them home. Her family raised $9,110 in 2010 by getting 911 people to donate $10 each. It can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne - Praise God to hear about your new friend. I know in my heart that it can be done and I continue to trust in our Lord. What a day it will be when we are able to "pass it on" to other families who are adopting. I know that is what the Lord wants out of all of this. Who knows how God will use what is given? Something I do know He wants all children to be in families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, our time is coming...for 'raising funds' to adopt & bring home our Daria Hope. We received some exciting news today, of further progress in Kazakhstan. SO, so early in the process, and yet I already love her, and ache to hold her in my arms...where-ever she is...

    So for now, we'll continue to help your family bring Jacob home.
    With expectant hope in Christ -
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind words - they are an encouragement in more ways than you know. What's so wonderful is that they always come just when they are needed. Such a God thing!

    ReplyDelete