Thursday, December 29, 2011

Just show up

Things have been busy around the Worthey household.  I called my mom four days before Christmas and was discussing the holiday when she said, "what would you do if I just showed up at your door on Christmas Day?"  My response went something like..."seriously?  I would think that a little strange not letting me know". Fast forward to Christmas Day and guess what?  She showed up!

Now, that might the usual in your family, but not in ours.  You see, this is the very first time that my mother has spent any holiday with me in my home.  Marshall and I have been married almost 20 years and this is the year when she "just showed up".  Our children were in shock to see grandma in our driveway.  They were even more shocked to sit down at the dinner table with her over Christmas dinner.

We spent the last few days together laughing and yes, even dancing.  We took her to the beautiful Broadmoor Hotel and sang songs around the piano.  I got to see the joy in her eyes when she walked into a vacant ballroom at the Broadmoor and began to dance slowly to the Christmas music that was being played.  I can honestly say that the last few days have shown me a side to my mother that I have never seen.  What makes all of this extra special is the circumstances surrounding my mothers life the last few years.
My sweet mom with Hannah

You see, two years ago on January 31st when we were bringing our Naomi home, my mother's life changed forever. She was supposed to meet us at the Dallas airport to be introduced to her new granddaughter and visit with us for a few hours before we boarded the plane to Colorado Springs.  She never showed up.  The next morning I get a call from a friend in Texas asking me if my parent's were O.K. She then went on to tell me that my parents home had exploded and they were clinging to life in Parkland Hospital.

Before that moment, I had never experienced such emotions. It is hard to explain how you can go from being "on top of the world" bringing your new child home to the very bottom of the pit hearing that your parents are clinging to life.  My Stepfather ended up going home and my mom's life changed.  The last few years have been extremely difficult, but praise to our God she is recovering and even dancing in the vacant ballroom of the Broadmoor Hotel.

My mom "showed up" this Christmas.  After all the tragic life experiences she made it a priority to be part of our family this Christmas.  What a blessing to know that regardless of your life experiences, your past and all the "junk" you might carry around YOU can "just show up". As our family prepares for this next step in bringing Jacob home, we are praying that someone, somewhere will " just show up". Regardless of your circumstances you can make a difference and what a day it will be when Jacob can see with his own eyes how many people "showed up" to help him.  

Lorrie

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Lori, I am touched, you are a doll.

    Kim Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this encouragement Lori. I have in-laws that we're hoping will one day "just show up." It's heartbreaking. Your post gives me hope.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this Lorrie. This is very heart breaking about your mom. I still pray for the rest of her recovery. That is a wonderful story of how she can show up on your door step. I like the picture she still looks good even year's later from when I last saw her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh MY! I didn't know that had happened to your mom...that is crazy. I'll be praying for her!

    Tammy Smith

    ReplyDelete