Friday, December 16, 2011

Adoption Blues

The last couple of days have been emotional around the Worthey home.  It all began Monday morning when we turned on the computer.  There was an e-mail from the folks at Affording Adoptions.  We had applied for a grant with them awhile back.  The e-mail read that we had not been chosen to receive any funding to help bring Jacob home.  For some reason, I really thought we had a good chance at getting a little something.  However, the bottom line is we are like so many people.  We are middle class.  We make just enough to live on, but to much to receive any help.  It was like that in college - my folks made just enough to put us "over the limit" for any scholarship money.

So, that was the beginning of my week.  Of course when you get news like that, the enemy begins his work.  My mind began to think of how much time we put in to gather all the needed papers, get the letters of recommendation and sign on the dotted lines before the cutoff date.  I thought about the remaining funds we need and how draining going through the adoption process is.  Sometimes, it is all you can do to turn on your computer and pray that someone, somewhere gets it.  I mean really gets it.

After my Monday morning pouting party, God showed up.  I know He was always there, but sometimes I am so blind to His work.  I turned on my computer and would you know that there was an e-mail from our friends who are in the Ukraine meeting their new daughter.  Reading their story and seeing the pictures of them in the orphanage blowing bubbles with their little child brought tears to my eyes.  God showed me then that what we are going through, all the unknowns and all the "bad news" we might receive - everything is in His hands.  God brought us to this place, introduced us to our son and will provide for all of our needs.  It is all worth it.

Adoption blues are real.  You have good days and you have bad days. I am so thankful that God allows us to see little reminders of His faithfulness. Whether it be by seeing a picture, reading a blog or having someone you don't even know give to your family, those are God's blessings.  That, my friend, is what all of this is all about.

 I am sure the adoption blues will visit our home again.  God did not say that changing a life would be easy and that things would happen quickly or even the way we would hope.  God did promise, however, that whenever we begin to question, doubt and wonder if we are doing the right thing that He would show up in the most unexpected places.  Please know that our family cherishes your prayers for those days when we are wondering how things could possibly ever work out- when the adoption blues come again.

Naomi's Adoption Day!  Great reminder that there will be a time when Jacob will be here

Thank you for being part of our adoption journey. Praying that this Christmas season brings life, joy, and happiness to your family.

Lorrie

1 comment: