Thursday, January 1, 2015

The list



Today is a hard day. All of you, all of us, who have been praying for Jacob, and holding up the Worthey family are starting the new year on our knees with breaking hearts. I remembered a conversation Jacob and I had a couple of weeks ago, and thought today would be a good day to share his words.



Jacob and I were working on an art project together, tracing our hands and coloring them with markers to make them look 3D. He didn't think his was turning out so well, and I mentioned that it would be cool to work on art projects in heaven.

This started a thread of ideas on what we thought heaven was like and what we might do there. I mentioned that we could travel to other planets and explore the universe. Jacob was surprised that there would be a lot of things to do in heaven.

After a few minutes of coloring, he looked over at me and said, "I wish there was a list."

"A list for what?" I said.

"A list of who gets to go to heaven."

I smiled. "Well Jacob, guess what? There is a list! It's called the Book of Life."

I wondered if Jacob might have missed a few important points in learning about heaven, so we talked through it.

Earlier in the day, a volunteer had come in to let Jacob 'shop' for Christmas presents for his family. Though he couldn't leave the room to browse the gift tables, we pored over photos on an iPad, and he carefully chose something for each member--even the dogs. I mentioned that Jesus' gift of salvation to us is like a present. We can accept it or not.

"Jacob, what if you gave Naomi her gift that you'd picked out, and she said she didn't want it?"

A huge grin spread over Jacob's face. "Oh, I get it! I already did that. I asked Jesus into my heart."

"Well," I said. "Then you're already on the list."

"Cool," he said, and picked up his marker.

As we all face the possibility of saying goodbye to this sweet, brave boy today or in the days to come, remember that while our hearts break, he will be running into the arms of his Savior.

And a big part of that wonderful picture is because Lorrie and Marshall and their family opened their hearts to a child who was abandoned and rejected.

If they had not adopted Jacob, his life would have ended long before this.

If they had not sacrificed to bring him home, each of us would never have heard of him--would never have been touched by his life.

And biggest of all, he might not have the assurance that he's on the list.

Rejoice with us, that Jacob's name is written boldly in the Book of Life.

Everyone who conquers will be clothed in white, and I will not erase his name from the Book of Life, but I will announce before my Father and his angels that he is mine.
Revelation 3:5, Living Bible

~Debbie

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you all!!! With love in Him, the Sobrals (Courtenay, Jack, William, Nathan, Ford and Lexi)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, so good.. thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete