Wednesday, January 11, 2012

School Days

Everyday around the Worthey home is busy.  We are a home school family.  What that means is that EVERY day is a school day.  Some of our favorite learning opportunities come when we least expect them.  I remember the time when I spent way more time trying to find out how our cat, who had been missing for about month, ended up being brought back home by our dog. Yep, the cat was long gone but our dog brought him back for a "proper burial".  So, school that day consisted of getting the logistics ready to bury our beloved cat in our backyard.  Now, you might think that is not school.  Well, I must tell you that the children learned so much that day.  How to dig a hole deep enough to bury something, how to plan out a service and what to say when it was their turn to speak whatever was on their hearts.  Sometimes, the best lessons come from real life experiences.  It is never a dull moment around here.

Tigger was the COOLEST cat ever.
I personally believe that one of the greatest things we have been able to give Naomi is the gift of homeschooling.  You see, what she - and every child who arrives to their forever families- needs is the opportunity to spend time with their new family.  To bond, if you want to call it that.  Is it easy? No.  Do I get frustrated? You bet.  However, to watch Naomi learn and excel just touches my heart.  We don't have to send her away to be in the hands of someone else for eight hours and then expect her to "know us" when she gets home.  She is able to share life - all of it - with us. Everyday. A perfect gift for a very special child.

For those of you who are thinking about or in the process of adopting I would strongly encourage you to explore all of your options when it comes to the education of your child. Homeschooling is not for everyone and I know that there are some families who just cannot home school their children.  However, the gift of being able to have your children at home with you and experience life with you is so worth every dollar you would spend elsewhere. After all, who would ever think that your school day would consist of a funeral for a cat?
Doing school even when you aren't feeling so well


Hannah and Noah doing Math - on the couch
Thanking God for all of His blessings on our life.  

Lorrie 

4 comments:

  1. Folks - I gotta tell you - I LOVE THIS WOMAN. She has poured her life and times into these kids - like an Artist with a masterpiece sculpture. They are all beautiful and if you look closely- you will see Lorrie's fingerprints. - Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently had someone ask me...
    "why DO you home school anyway?"
    Honestly, it took me by surprise. We've been at it for so long now - I've not had to 'defend' these choices in a while. And yeah, it's more complicated, now that the kids are older, and doing a slew of part-time activities at the high school. The 'home-school-waters' get muddier...

    Thanks for the reminder - of why we do what we do.
    Time.
    Bonding.
    Togetherness.
    Today was such a day, in the Miller home.
    And I too, am thanking God for all His blessings on our life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri, and His blessing are perfect aren't they? They come in little reminders and at times when you are at the end of your rope. Thank you dear friend for your sweet words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey its me I just wanted to say thank you for your post today I really needed that. We have struggled with what should you do with our new ones in the school realm and you know you are right these precious ones really just need family and love and everything else will fall in place and God will teach them as he sees fit. I am so sorry about your precious kitty he looked alive in that picture. That is tragedy. I love Kitty's. Praying for you all and your little friend who lives close by. Miss you much.. Love Anne

    ReplyDelete